Wednesday 7 December 2016

Girl Talk | The Menstrual Cup


I am back with the second installment in my girl talk series, and this time I will be talking all about the magical Diva Cup. For some bizarre reason society has made women feel that their period is something to be ashamed of, an unspoken myth that must never be brought to light around men. We've all been there, you're standing in the que in Boots with sanitary items waiting to be served, and to your horror a man calls for the next person in line and it's you and oh god all you can do is watch in terror as he scans in your jumbo tampons and asks if you have an advantage card, pretending to be just as okay with the situation as you are, but really you're both mentally and physically scarred, because how can women be so disgusting. So to try and lift the stigma what I am going to do is talk about it, on the internet, for the whole planet to see. 

For those of you who don't know what it is or what it does, the menstrual cup is basically a little silicone cup that you fold over and insert (the same as a tampon) into your v-jay jay and leave to work it's magic by collecting blood for up to 12 hours. Then you take it back out, give it a clean and pop it back in again. If this is new to you that probably sounds pretty horrifying, and it was to me too. But after a couple of uses you get used to it and praise the day that you decided to stop with the whole pad and tampon malarkey. 


For me, learning that sanitary waste was one of the biggest issues the planet faces today was the deciding factor to give this a go. One menstrual cup can last for up to ten years and that is doin' the planet some good lemme tell ya. On top of the planet being delighted, you have your period sorted for the next ten years, is that not the most magical thing you could ever think of? No more irritating trips to the shop every month to spend your hard earned money on something you didn't choose for your body to do. 

From my own experience with using the cup the pros are endless, not only is it environmentally and economically friendly, it has made having my period, dare I say it, almost.. easy *gasps*. I can pop it in and not have to worry about changing it in a couple of hours while I am out or fearing leaking through my clothes if I forget to. I can leave it in for up to twelve hours and go about my daily business without having to carry around two hundred tampons in my handbag. I can't feel it inside me what so ever and once it is in I almost forget I even have my period. Even more I have noticed my period is slightly lighter since using it, as have other women reported. 

So far the only con I have found is getting used to it. It is terrifying inserting and removing the little cup in the beginning and I definitely had a few moments of panic myself but trust me, once you keep using it you figure out a way of getting it in and out that works best for you and that is when you will begin to reap all of the benefits this majestic cup has to ofer. 


So, I encourage you to share this with your sister, cousin, friend, on any social media platform you have whether it be facebook, twitter or instagram and help a sista out. I had no idea this existed up until two months ago and I just wish I had known about it sooner instead of suffering for years with uncomfortable pads and toxic tampons. Above I have listed different brands of menstrual cups if you decide that this option might be for you. 

 We need to get the word out and lift this taboo that surrounds our periods. GRL PWR. 

Adele x
SHARE:

29 comments

  1. great post... have a nice day...
    www.soslubadem.blogspot.com.tr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Diva cup, great article!

    X Merel
    www.andathousandwords.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a bit out it, but I'm not sure they're selling here(

    KireiKana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, they can be kind of hard to get a hold of.. a lot didn't ship to Ireland and they don't sell them in shops either because they're obviously not that well known, hopefully this will change though and they will be easier to buy! x

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to try them, but I've never been brave enough. I think I'll definitely give them a try now! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been so curious about these, thanks for sharing!

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks that you share, I have never find courage to even try
    galantosfun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I've heard about the Diva Cup, it seems like a great idea but as someone who can't even get use to tampons I just can't imagine using this lol. Major props to those who do though! There's a brand called Veeda that sells biodegradable and more environmental friendly pads and tampons so those have been my fave :)

    Stacey + thebambieyes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting thing))
    Have a nice Friday!
    www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely blog post, thank you for sharing.

    Patricia Stelmach

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had this before, but I did not like it. I currently use Lily Cup

    xo
    http://style-hue.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always been curious about these but I'm so scared to use them! They're definitely more budget and environment friendly. If it isn't TMI I'm curious about how you clean them?

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a scary concept at first! You literally just give them a quick clean with water under the tap, it's so easy! x

      Delete
  12. I have always wanted to try these!!

    xo
    tessa
    http://www.travelwheretonext.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always been curious about this. My biggest worry is what if you need to attend to it in a public bathroom. How do you wash it out? It seems sort of unhygienic to do it, for example at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See because you can leave them in for 12 hours and even sometimes a little more there is rarely a reason why you would need to attend to it when you are out. But if you do you can just clean it off with tissue, it's not ideal but it's not unhygienic.. it does the job! x

      Delete
  14. I've been wanting to try menstrual cups for a while! I hate tampons and pads, but pads most of all. I am more inclined to getting this now. Thank you for the super helpful review!

    http://orcmilk.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually, i am knowing this for the FIRST time.. and from your post i hope i could find it in Nigeria because i am so interested and would like to try it.

    Saw your comment on my blog. Thanks for visiting.


    Brendascouch.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. My husband would die if he read it. You don't get any leakage with this? To this day, after 18 years of marriage... that's a lot of periods. 3 kids. My husband CANNOT and WILL NOT go into the store and buy tampons. No one thinks they are for you (I tell him) but he can't do it. LOL. My teenage boys, no problem. Husband? Melt down. I don't mind tampons but I had a bad experience one. I'd just be concerned about leakage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny, could you imagine if things were the other way around and men had periods? we would never hear the end of it! haha x

      Delete
  17. I've heard a lot about this recently! I'm so interested to try it. Seems like the eco friendly, cost effective way to go. I'm just terrified of mishaps!

    hannahsnotebook.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally agree, in this day and age people should be more open when it comes to talking about periods. I heard about the cup before but never actually saw one. I have to say that I would be a bit terrified to use it.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pads are so uncomfortable, I hate them. I read plenty of posts about menstrual cup but I haven't tried it, maybe it's time!

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So good to see bloggers talking about topics which are considered 'taboo'. Great post!

    Emily xo
    www.emilynewstead.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a love/hate relationship with the Diva Cup. It performs well but removing can be messy. The benefit of a tampon is you have a string so you can avoid the mess but with the Diva Cup you literally have to get your hands dirty and on a heavy flow day that is not fun.
    LaToya
    www.toyastales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never tried it and it doesn't seem like it would be for me x

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I definitely want to try it out but I fear leakage!

    www.upyourvlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am back with the second installment in my girl talk series, and this time I will be talking all about the magical Diva Cup. For some bizarre reason society has made women feel that their period is something to be ashamed of, an unspoken myth that must never be brought to light around men. bed sheets , comforter sets , gul ahmed bed sheets , bridal bed set , quilted bedspreads , cotton mattress near me , winter blanket , vicky razai , sofa cover set , buy pakistani lawn suits online We've all been there, you're standing in the que in Boots with sanitary items waiting to be served, and to your horror a man calls for the next person in line and it's you and oh god all you can do is watch in terror as he scans in your jumbo tampons and asks if you have an advantage card, pretending to be just as okay with the situation as you are, but really you're both mentally and physically scarred, because how can women be so disgusting. So to try and lift the stigma what I am going to do is talk about it, on the internet, for the whole planet to see.

    ReplyDelete

© Adele Lydia. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig